Friday 10 October 2014

Hello everyone! I thought I'd give a brief introduction to my blog.

I am a student at University College London and am in my third (and final!) year studying BSc Geography.

My blog aims to understand different potential causes of the decline and collapse of civilizations. The ancient Mayan civilization comes to most peoples' minds when societal collapse is mentioned. After visiting the Mayan ruins in Mexico a few years ago, I became even more interested in understanding potential causes of societal collapse, especially when keeping in mind the technological triumphs (building those huge pyramids) and seeming maturity of the civilization.

The Kukulkan Pyramid, Mexico. Source: The Awakening

The Mayan civilization isn't the only society to hit hard times and fall apart - so I'll be looking into other examples too (watch this space!). Although there are many theories for societal collapse, the most common explanations seem to be environmental change, disease and war. Despite some ideas being more popular than others, I'll be sure to look into some of the less popular (and more obscure) theories.

No comments:

Post a Comment